Description of the Company
To develop and provide software-driven cloud networking solutions for massive data center computing and storage settings, Arista Networks was formed. With Ethernet speeds ranging from 10 to 400 gigabits per second, Arista’s award-winning solutions redefine resilience, scalability, and agility. With CloudVision and EOS, an advanced network operating system, Arista has shipped more than 20 million cloud networking ports globally.
Arista is a founding member of the 25/50GbE consortia and is dedicated to open standards. Products from Arista Networks are offered both directly and through partners in every country.
To expand our team developing software for the Extensible Operating System (EOS), Arista Networks is seeking exceptional software developers. You will be a vital component of the high-caliber, fast-paced EOS team that manages the biggest data center networks in the world. A crucial element of Arista’s EOS, the company’s exclusive Linux-based network operating system that powers all of its data center networking solutions, will be your software.
The entire process of creating and distributing software designed to operate on the several Arista switches falls under the purview of the EOS team. Collaborating with fellow engineers and marketing team members, you will assimilate and comprehend the functional and technical specifications for future projects. You will contribute to the creation of test plans, functional and design specifications, and the code necessary to implement all of these. Along with fixing issues in their networks, you will collaborate with clients to prioritize tasks. Internally, you will create automated tests for your program, keep an eye on how those tests are running, and prioritize and address any issues that your tests identify.
From project conception to deployment, you will be in charge of your projects at Arista and accountable for the caliber of all you produce.
Strong and comprehensive software engineering foundations, as well as a solid grasp of networking, including L2, L3, and the principles of commercial switching hardware, are required for this post. Your responsibilities at Arista will encompass every facet of EOS, rather than just one.
- Compose design and functional specifications for features about traffic forwarding on the internet and in cloud data centers.
- Implement small-scale problem solutions independently in our EOS software utilizing Python, C, and C++ programming languages.
- Create test plan specifications for EOS features that are minor in scope, and put automated test programs in place to run the test plan’s case studies.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues that our automated testing tools have identified.
- Implement, test, and debug solutions to more complex routing protocol issues as a team.
- Valuable in collaborating with customer support engineers to assess issues in client networks and, if necessary, offer solutions in the form of updates or new software releases.
- Collaborate with the System Test Engineers to examine issues discovered during testing and offer solutions.
- Mentor new and junior engineers to bring them up to speed in Arista’s software development environment.
- Examine and add to the implementations and specifications that other team members have created.
- Assist with developing a timetable for the tasks related to implementation and debugging, update it once a week, and submit it to the project manager.
- BSc, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering with 2+ years of related post-graduate work experience
- Knowledge of C, C++, and/or Python.
- Knowledge of UNIX or Linux.
- Understanding of L2/L3 networking including at least one of the following areas is desirable.
- IP routing protocols, such as RIP, OSPF, BGP, IS-IS, or PIM.
- Layer 2 features such as 802.1d bridging, the 802.1d Spanning Tree Protocol, the 802.1ax Link Aggregation Control Protocol, the 802.1AB Link Layer Discovery Protocol, or RFC 1812 IP routing.
- Ability to utilize, test, and debug packet forwarding engine and a hardware component’s vendor-provided software libraries in your solutions.
- Infrastructure functions related to distributed systems such as messaging, signaling, databases, and command line interface techniques.
- Hands-on experience in the design and development of ethernet bridging or routing-related software or distributed systems software is desirable.
- Hands-on experience with enterprise or service provider class Ethernet switch/router system software development, or significant PhD level research in the area of network routing and packet forwarding.
- Applied understanding of software engineering principles.
- Strong problem-solving and software troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to design a solution to a small-sized problem, and implement that solution without outside help. Able to work on a small team solving a medium-sized problem with limited oversight.
For this position, the base salary range for new hires is $95,000 to $145,000. Arista provides varying salary ranges according to the location of the employee to provide fair and competitive compensation that is in line with market rates. A variety of elements, such as abilities, credentials, relevant experience, and work location, will determine the actual basic wage offered.
The salary range given solely represents basic pay; specific roles may also be qualified for equity and Arista incentives at the discretion of Arista. Arista offers a sales incentive plan that is open to employees in sales roles. This plan provides commissions based on a percentage of approved sales. Benefits like health, dentistry, vision, well-being, income protection, and a group retirement savings plan are also available to employees. During the hiring process, the recruiting team can provide additional information relevant to the role and region.